A "Colloquium" is a conference/seminar at which a topic is or topics are discussed and then a time provided for questions and answers. "Borderland: A Journey on the Migrant Trail." is a presentation setup to show all 5 episodes of "BORDERLAND" and then to provide additional information and an opportunity for questions and answers. (See Proposed Agenda below)
If you are interested in scheduling this presentation, please click the following button.
The Colloquium is divided into 6 separated sessions. Each session is an hour and a half long, which are typically spread out for 6 weeks. The following agenda can be modified to meet your needs (such as doing it all in one day).
Six disparate Americans begin a journey that explores the issue of illegal immigration in the premiere of this documentary series.
- It begins in the Pima County Morgue with Dr. Greg Hess
- The group meets up with Cochise County Sherrif, Mark Dannels
- They spend a day and a night at the Warner Glenn Ranch.
- They meet up with human rights group, No More Deaths
- Back at the morgue, the six cast members are split up into 3 groups, each assigned to track the story of a migrant who died in the dessert:
- Kishana & Lis-Marie are assigned Claudeth Sanchez
- Gary & Alison are assigned Omar Lopez
- Randy & Alex are assigned Maire Zelaya
- The 3 teams head out to begin unraveling the stories of each migrant they have been assigned to.
Kishana & Lis-Marie head to Chiapas, Mexico
Gary & Alison head to El Porvenir, Guatemala and meet Omar's family
Randy & Alex head to Iowa to meet Maira's mother, Carmine Zalaya
- In El Savador:
- Randy & Alex are now in San Salvador, the capitol of El Salvador where they are confronted with death in the streets of San Salvador
- They meet Maira's brother who stayed in El Salvador
- Then they meet Israel (Noi) who accompanied Maira into the U.S. and in whose arms Maira died.
- Before heading into Mexico, Randy & Alex stop at the airport where deported migrants are transported to.
- In Tapachula, Mexico
- Kishana & Lis-Marie meet Claudeth's Brother, Sammy
- Then they meet the rest of the family
- Kishana & Lis-Marie walk through the Mexican jungle, heading north.
- In Guatemala:
- Gary & Alison work on a coffee plantation near El Porenir.
- Then they meet elementary school children with a desire to migrate to the U.S.
- They cross the river that establishes the border between Mexico and Guatemala
- On the trail in Mexico, Gary & Alison come across migrants heading to the U.S. border
The group reunites in Arriago, Mexico
- The ride aboard "La Bestia"
- The migrant compound
- The Mariajuana Plantation
The six Americans track the final leg of a journey that proved fatal to three migrants.
||The cast assembles for a reunion for the first time after tracing the journeys of migrants who died crossing the border. Host: Antonio Mora.
||Randy shot over four thousand pictures during the documentary and provides a presentation based upon those photos. Included is additional information and resources that are important to further understand the issues of illegal immigration